Back to school is on its way and before you know it, you will be faced with that looming question that every child asks, “What’s for dinner.” And when you are a busy mom, working, cleaning, car pooling, momming, and wearing that cape…you may not even know your name, let alone what to make for dinner.
These are the times when meal planning is your best kept secret and digging out that slow cooker is your sanity saver. Let it take the wheel for a bit while you go do more important things, like home work or bath time. This recipe that I am sharing with you today takes little to no prep, especially if you take the help, so print this baby out, grab the goods and pick a day to give it a spin.
Not only is it super healthy for the family but it also saves your waist line too. Take the leftovers to work the next day or do a double duty and freeze it for next week. Either way, this is a recipe will be your next go to meal.
Easy Cheesy Slow Cooker Spaghetti Squash
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1-lb. sausage, whatever flavor you like
- ½ onion chopped
- 2 bell peppers, any color you want, chopped
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. olive or avocado oil
- 1 (24-oz.) jar pasta sauce
- 1 (16-oz.) pkg. shredded cheddar cheese (any type you like)
- 1 (8-oz.) pkg. shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3 oz. shredded parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut spaghetti squash in half, clean out seeds, put on a baking sheet and drizzle with oil, salt and pepper and cook for about 45 to 50 minutes. Should be fork tender and easily shredded. You can easily do this ahead of time and have it waiting in fridge for you or purchase already done for you veggie noodles such as zucchini or other squash of choice. Take the help where you can get it!
2. In a large skillet, over medium to high heat, brown sausage, onion, peppers and garlic in oil stirring often. About 8 to 10 minutes until the sausage is no longer pink. Drain out fat and stir together the meat mixture, pasta sauce, and cheddar cheese into pasta. Spoon half of the mixture into pre-greased slow cooker.
3. Add half of the shredded spaghetti squash on top of meat mixture and sprinkle this half with mozzarella and top with remaining mixture. Add other half of meat mixture, shredded spaghetti squash then again with remaining mozzarella, and add the parmesan cheese. Cover and cook on Low for about 3 hours.
4. Once done, you can add this alongside of a side salad and don’t forget to take leftovers for lunch the next day or freeze for another meal next week!
If you enjoy recipes like these, don’t forget to check out the other recipes in my blog but be sure to share them with others. The more recipes you have and try, the easier it will be to eat healthy every night of the week AND lose that weight. Have an awesome week.
With Nourishing Love,